It's been a while since I wrote last. No excuses. Just call me Slacker Queen, or simply, Your Highness, if you wish.
It was a crazy weekend. My husband finally went out and got himself a new truck. He's been talking about it for months and months, and I guess Mercury and Venus were aligned just right because we now have a new vehicle in the garage and a new car payment to prove it.
We really only went to the dealership to look, shop around, make comparisons. Unfortunately, we underestimated the salesmen. You know how when you first walk in, they are bending over backwards to make sure you get what you are looking for? They show you everything on the lot, spout out specs like they are telling you their names, and go on and on about how great the vehicle is. But, once you start talking numbers, Mr. Hyde pops out and all the niceties go right out the proverbial window.
We were at the Toyota dealer and my husband just wanted a baseline price -- but the salesman wouldn't talk numbers with him unless he first signed a paper saying he was serious about buying. They really use high-pressure tactics to get you to buy. The tension was so thick that I just wanted to get up and leave. My husband is very opinionated and speaks first, thinks later -- the interchange got rather heated. I was able to interject a few times to help smooth things over, becuase that's my job as Superwoman, right? Oh, wait, my cape is at the drycleaners... I'm Slacker Queen now!
We finaly convinced the salesmen (the original guy went and got his manager) to let us drive the truck home to see how it fit in our garage. It was good to get away from the sitatuion so we could think without them breathing down our necks.
We weren't out of the woods yet though... we get back to the dealership (this time with 2/3 of our children) and start talking numbers again. I swear the price changed every time we blinked, and not always in our favor. Good thing my husband was keeping a close eye on the numbers and wouldn't stand for any switcheroos...
To make a long story short, my husband got the truck of his dreams. I was lucky enough to be able to drive it, and it makes me hungry for a new car too... my car is 11 years old and showing its age! Unfortunately, one new car in this family is more than enough.
At least I can bask in the new car smell... that's almost as good, right??
2 comments:
I hate, hate, hate car buying.
Sounds like you did a good job though.
Is hubby happy?
I love the new car smell too.
Hey I have you beat, my car is a 1991.
WOO WOO, WOO WOO WOO.. (vonage commercial music)
What colour is it?
He bought a Toyota Tundra. He wanted to get white, but I talked him out of that, since his last truck was white he should get something different. He got a dark grey. it's beautiful and he loves it!! Lucky him, eh?
Post a Comment