Twelve years ago I became a mother. There I sat, in my hospital bed, holding my pink little bundle wondering how I was going to be able to handle this new stage of life. The fears and anxieties were weighing heavily on me and I felt so inadequate and unprepared.
And, here I am, again with many of those same feelings, wondering how I'm going to handle life as she prepares to leave the nest and make a life of her own. Have I taught her enough? Have I given her enough of the tools she'll need to make it in the world? I'm throwing my daughter to the sharks... is she protected enough? Teenage girls can be so mean and unforgiving... which side of the fence will she be on?
She had an interview for advancement with the bishop today. When they were finished he walked out of the office with her and, with a smile, said to me, "She is growing up beautifully." The comment bolstered me up a bit, thinking that maybe I did okay as a mother and that she'll be fine. Though, Ithink I'll always worry. That's my job. I'm a mom.
Happy Birthday, Skins.
No comments:
Post a Comment