Saturday, January 28, 2006

I'm Gonna Do It!

Turning the Big Three-Oh has caused me to do a lot of reflection on my life. It was difficult for me to enter into this new decade -- I feel as though I should have accomplished more in my life, have more experiences, seen more places...

For several months I have vacillated on the decision whether to compete for my State's title in the Mrs. United States Pageant. One day I would be feeling really confident and sure that it was the right thing for me, and the next day I would feel inadequate and like I would be making a fool of myself to even try.

But, today I convinced myself to go to the first orientation. I walked in the room, filled with intelligent, beautiful women, and almost turned around and walked back out. I forced myself to stay and sat at a table with very talkative, likeable women. By the time the orientation was over, I was feeling good about my decision to compete.

There are many obstacles in my way, and several hurdles I'll have to get by before the "big day," but I really think that I will come out of this a better person. I hope to gain more confidence in myself and my abilities, and be able to carry myself like the Daughter of a King that I am -- win or lose.

The Director of the Pageant told me, "You felt compelled to seek out this opportunity for a reason -- don't let it pass you by." I think she's right. It's time to step out of my comfort zone and get myself out there!

This is the life experience and accomplishment I've been lacking and it feels good to be a part of it all!

No comments: