Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Facebook: The New Crack

Seriously. Not since I first discovered eBay has anything on the internet called me so persistently...

I signed up for Facebook about a year ago because someone invited me. I didn't really give it much thought, didn't use my "real" name, and only checked when I saw that my friend had added new photos of her little son.

Then, somehow another friend found me, so I added them as well. On a whim I went through their friend list and discovered they were friends with two people I hadn't had contact with for years. So, I changed my name, added my profile picture, and went looking for more friends.

That's when I discovered I was hooked.

Now, I log on to Facebook at least twice a day to see if I have any new friend requests (and find myself disappointed at those times when there are none). It's like Christmas when I get a new friend or a new message. I've joined a few groups, so it is necessary to log on to those as well to see if there are new posts/members. I have to check what each friend is currently doing, and occasionally comment, as well as play a game or two. It amazes me that I've been able to reconnect with friends I had over 20 years ago!

It's not uncommon for me to spend 30-60 minutes "just checking my Facebook." At least with Facebook I'm not logging off lighter in the wallet like I always do with eBay.

It's so easy to get sucked in... and I go willingly.

3 comments:

*kj* said...

Haha!! It is addicting!! I signed up for the same reason you did and I am officially 100% hooked!! It's CRAZY!! But I have been up to get in touch with old friends. I love finding them and catching up on what has happened over the last oh say 12 years!! It's GREAT!! :o)

Just Ducky said...

I"m exactly the same. I love catching up but I have to limit my time. Otherwise I could be there for hours.

Don't be ignoring your blong in favor of the facebook.
Love Ya!

J Perry said...

I'm totally the same way. Except my cell phone has the program to actually change my status. It's more addictive than MySpace was!!