Just listening to the news these days is enough to send anyone under their covers never to resurface again. Each segment contains some form of doom and gloom... If you haven't heard already, there is a wheat and rice shortage here in the United States - the breadbasket of the world. For the first time ever we have to import those products, and other countries are keeping it for themselves, which leaves us empty-handed. I have to laugh a bit when the newscaster relates these messages with severe gravity only to follow it up with "don't hoard and don't panic." If that's not a contradiction in messages, I don't know what is!
I've never been great with food storage, even though we've been counselled to have a year's supply for as long as I can remember. I try to have a few cases of Mac-N-Cheese on hand, and a crate or two of Top Ramen, but that's about the extent of my supply. I think the whole "50 lbs of wheat" is intimidating to me. I mean, you have to USE what you store, right? What the heck do I do with wheat?
And, now, I couldn't even get any if I wanted to!!
My family is clearly not prepared, despite the fact that President Hinckley passionately urged us to get our affairs in order and BE PREPARED. We didn't listen. He knew what is to come, and we ignored it thinking that we have more time.
Time is clearly up. Unless the economy recovers in a big way, and fuel prices drop considerably, this is the way it's going to be. Scary thought, isn't it! You can believe I'll be doubling up on my Mac-N-Cheese/Top Ramen purchases... I still don't know what to do with wheat anyway.
How's your food storage situation?
1 comment:
Thursday, our bishops storehouse/cannery was completely packed with people who didn't have appointments, all people who were freaking out about the food storage.
I'm not as prepared as I'd like, but I think we could live 3-4 months maybe on what we've stored.
Who knows.
Scarey times.
Post a Comment