Iveritably, every six months, the card arrives in the mail: You are due for a visit with the dentist. Today was my day. I always dread the dentist -- have my whole life. There is just something sort of invading about having someone mill around in your mouth. I'd actually rather visit the gynocologist ... well, maybe not quite that drastic, but they are about the same.
Last year at this time I was having significant tooth pain and went in for my semi-annual checkup. Turns out the dentist said I would need a root canal. Unfortunatley, our insurance was new and would not cover such extensive dental work without first passing the trial period. I tried to convey that to my dentist, but he said it really should be taken care of if we wanted to save the tooth. My dentist put in a temporary filling and asked me to set up an appointment for a few days later. I did so with great trepidation, knowing it was going to cost over $1000 (which we didn't have), not to mention the pain that would no-doubt accompany the procedure.
That night my mouth was killing me! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep, and no amount of ibuprofen was helping. I broke down and asked for a blessing. I was blessed that I would awake the next morning with no pain -- though the night was rough, morning brought significant relief.
I kept my appointment to go in for the root canal, but not without preparing with lots of prayer for help in paying for the procedure and calmness in undergoing something I was not looking forward to. I sat in the chair and explained my plight once again to my dentist, even explaining the blessing and prayers offered on my behalf. He asked if I was feeling pain, I said no. He was surprised. He decided to take an extra x-ray and was astonished to see that the tooth didn't appear to be as bad as he'd originally thought. No root canal would be needed.
WHEW! Imagine my relief.
He now refers to me as his faithful miracle patient. He even mentioned me in a testimony meeting he was conducting in his ward (he's a member of his ward's bishopric). I don't know if I'd go as far to say "faithful" since I asked for a blessing out of desperation -- but I'm so thankful that it worked and my mouth was healed!
So, every time I go in to see my dentist, I fear that the need for a root canal will return since our insurance will now cover one. But, today I received a clean bill of health. Mouth looks great with no signs of looming danger.
Look ma, no cavities!!!
I'm one happy camper! Only 6 more months remaining until my next appointment.....
No comments:
Post a Comment