I've created a monster!
Saturday was our errand day and this particular Saturday found us traveling to the mall so I could visit Victoria's Secret and exchange a bra I'd bought. In I trudged, with husband and three children in tow. Saturdays are busy days in the mall and there were a lot of people waiting in the check-out line -- affording us a lot of wait time, which gave my oldest daughter (9) the opportunity to scope her surroundings while she stood off to the side with her dad and two sisters.
I made my exchange, as well as an additional small purchase, and we left. I didn't think anything of the whole thing until later when my husband pulled me aside...
He'd been with the girls while I did my business and fielded my oldest's comments. She was shocked that the mannequins in the store were dressed SOOO immodestly, not to mention the photos on the wall! She couldn't believe that her own mother would dare patronize such an establishment -- oh, the immorality!! Her father tried to explain to her that most women wear these articles under their clothing and only their husbands get to see, to which she exclaimed, "I'm never going to wear this stuff to get a husband!"
Okay, so I admit, I'd like her to have a sense of modesty -- it's very important in this day and age -- but, I sure as heck don't want her to be a prude!! I took her aside later and explained that every woman needs bras and underwear and every woman has a different sense of style. She will be able to choose to wear what she is comfortable in, and someday her views on undergarments and lingerie will change. (oh, how I hope they change, even just a little).
On a side note, my middle daughter, who is 7, picked up a pair of thong underwear and studied it for several minutes trying to figure out how they worked. When I explained it to her, she remarked, rather loudly, "But, it would be like having a wedgie all day!!" Yep, that's for sure. Thongs were NOT invented by women.
1 comment:
LOL your kids are too cute!
Post a Comment